Monday, March 25, 2024

"One day you will understand why things had to happen the way that they did."

 Sometimes the journey is not straightforward. 

My weight loss journey certainly had its share of roadside stops and detours. But I eventually reached the destination.  I then continued to add running and challenging myself.  Although for the most of it I was blind to an issue that would eventually sideline me. 

Two months have passed since my hip surgery.  I don’t remember anything that day past being rolled out of preop.  I think I saw the OR but that was it. Next thing I know I woke up in recovery.  The real work was about to begin.   My coach came and was allowed to see me in recovery.  She's been one of my constants through the challenges the least two years.  

For the last year (maybe two), walking was uncomfortable.  My gait was not right.  It became uncomfortable to walk or run.  The last race I did was a 5k in January of 2023 and the last time I was able to do miles was sometime in February, maybe March.  And even then it was uncomfortable. I also became self-conscious about how I looked walking.  

After consulting an orthopedic, I decided to get a total hip replacement.  It would be my first ever major surgery.  Was I apprehensive?  Yes.  The information I read about preparing for surgery and recovery seemed overwhelming.  

But I was told a hip replacement was the only option if I wanted to return to pain free daily activity - and maybe one day running.  The conservative exercises and stretches would not remedy the situation.  

During the six week "precautions," I was frustrated that I couldn't bend over.  There is still some uncomfortableness feeling from time to time, however the pain vanished around week 2.  The pain from the knee and IT band (and any other muscle) on the left side is almost non-existent.  

So, here we are.  Physical therapy has been a constant for the last two months. After the initial six weeks, it was suggested to extend therapy to work on endurance, stretching and neuromuscular.  I did squats for the first time in no telling how long.  The workouts consisted of strength work and mobility.  The leg presses seemed easy compared to what I had worked on prior to surgery.  I worked on a "hip deck" machine and increased the weight to sixty pounds on my last workout.  These last few weeks, I've worked on the neuromuscular part to train my brain to walk the right way again.  

My last post op visit to the doctor was several weeks ago.  Everything looked good I was told.  I do have a scar but I can't really see it, although I feel it.  On the six month mark, I'll get x-rays.  I saw the x-rays taken during surgery.  They're cool! 

I am excited about returning to what I enjoy doing and what I was doing before.  And feeling like the person I was before this all began. Although I was told this is the new me. The last time I enjoyed it without pain was probably 2021.  I have missed our trails, getting miles done, and just being able to move.  My coach once told me I have more want to than anyone she knows.  Earlier this month I decided it was time I started walking again.  Slowly of course.  Although part of me is still self conscious.  But I get out and walk nonetheless.  I dealt with this pain and awkwardness for more than a year.  It takes time to get back to normal.  I hoped to be walking fast or slow running by end of the year, but it may be next year before I am fully ready to go for speed.  

I still have plans and can't wait to see them through.  The year 2026 will be a special one to me, but more on that later.  

God never gives us more than we can handle - although I know we sometimes question.  He wants us to achieve our goals and dreams.  He knows what I want to do.  So if that one day is not immediate, I know it’s only temporary.  Will it be when I step on the pavement for a walk without pain?  Maybe it'll be when I cross my first finish line in over a year.  

Whenever it might be, it'll be covered in Glitter all the Weigh! 

Feel free to follow me on the Insta! 




Christina 




No comments:

Post a Comment