Friday, June 5, 2015

All about food........

Whether we want to admit it or not, food is on our mind ALL the time!  Right?!  Weight Watchers gives you a certain amount of points to use through out the day and week.  Decisions on how to use those points on food are sometimes harder than deciding what to wear out with friends or date night!  

When I was heavier, my favorite food was pizza or a hamburger.  Maybe some ice cream.  Okay.....all food was my favorite.  

Since beginning this new chapter (and being diabetic) of my life, I look at food in a different way.  Would you believe I have eaten the same breakfast for over a year?  Plain Cheerios with a berry (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries).......depending on what kind of berry mood I might be in.  One cup of berries to get the 2 fruit servings in.  It is a 5 point breakfast and it has never tasted so good.

I mentioned I love, love, love salads!  I try to replicate salads from restaurants.  Randalls sells Panera Bread brand salad dressing.  Their raspberry dressing is 1 point for 2 TBSP and it is a power food!  It is a thick dressing, very tasty!  I gave up red meat and eat ground turkey or chicken for burgers.

Gone are the cravings for fast food hamburgers and a Papa John's pizza.  So are the cravings for a pint of cookie dough ice cream.  When the doctors told me I was diabetic and showed me a "blue print" of what I would have to eat, I was not sure what to think.  To me, planning what to eat seemed a little harder since I had a double whammy.  Onward and upward, something a British friend used to say, I went.  I still find it difficult when I go out to eat.  At Mexican restaurants, part of me would enjoy the enchilada with rice and beans.  But I opt to taking my own baked tortilla chips and choosing wisely.....and for me that means a salad or fajitas with corn tortillas.

A couple of months ago, I was in a rut.  For a minute, I thought it was the beginning of a plateau but really it was poor decision making.  I somehow got addicted to Chex Mix.  And while you may say that's not a bad choice, it is when you eat the entire bag, or combine two bags together WITH chocolate chips!  It was horrible.  Yet I tried to tell myself it still was not as bad as what I was eating before.....but really it was.  So I gave it up and stopped reaching for it at the store.  It also did not help that I was going to too many Happy Hours.  I don't have to tell you what that entails!

Here are some of my favorite foods:  strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, edamame, small apples, Cutie mandarin oranges, cucumbers, natural almonds, chicken, salads, and turkey burgers.

Here are some brand name favorite foods:  PB2 Powdered Peanut Butter, Sunsweet Ones Prunes, Blue Diamond Whole Natural Almonds, Cheerios, Magic Pop, Dannon Light & Fit Greek yogurt (strawberry, chocolate raspberry, cherry, citrus blend, and key lime), Triscuits, Green Giant Honey Roasted frozen corn, Nature's Own Honey Wheat Light 40 calorie bread.

Sure, challenges present themselves every day.  Just the other day at one of my jobs, in the break room were bakery style cookies - peanut butter, chocolate chip, etc. with a pitcher of milk.  I looked the other way.  We are in control of the food choices and point choices we make....even out at a restaurant or as a guest at someone's home for dinner.  I have learned that I CAN enjoy happy hour without drinking wine or cocktails.  I proved this by having a glass of sparkling water with lime.  I did enjoy an appetizer or two but no drinks.  It's all about the choices and decisions we make.

What have you tried that is now your favorite?

Christina

                                         
                               
                                

No comments:

Post a Comment